1. The Court Houses of Hays Area- When Hays County originated in 1848, its one public structure was a log church-schoolhouse that had to serve as the court house, together with its other usages. Although the San Marcos townsite, platted in 1851, had a court square contributed to the county, the forfeiture of a $2,000.00 criminal bond later on gave the region funds for building, as well as in 1861 officials used specialist C. F. Millett to set up on the Square a 36 x 40-foot, 2-story framework courthouse with a hearing space, court rooms, and also 4 workplaces. That yearn developing melted in 1868, and also area authorities ran from rented out quarters till a court house of soft, in your area quarried limestone was finished in 1871. Damaged by earth shiftings, that 2-story, 45 x 53-foot building was torn down (1881) as well as replaced by a 50 x 60-foot, 2-story structure of tougher sedimentary rock created by F. E. Ruffini, engineer for University of Texas buildings and for court houses in several other areas. Afterwards 1882-83 structure lost its top tale in a fire on Feb. 28, 1908, it likewise was taken down.
2. HAYS AREA JAILS- The deteriorating jail rests behind the 1873 jail as well as is surrounded by a fence and overgrown trees. Court house posters are being sold at the court house to help elevate cash for its reconstruction.
3. Aquarena Springs – Aquarena Springs is largely the source of the San Marcos River, rising from thousands of cracks under Spring Lake. A Spanish mission was developed on the website, as well as later came to be the homestead of General Burleson and Eli Merriman. For years, Aquarena Springs was a resort as well as entertainment park with boat flights as well as features such as mermaids. The ‘Aquamaids’ would certainly wear oxygen storage tanks to consume pickles and also consume Dr. Pepper undersea. Drawn in by the scenic beauty of the area, A.B. Rogers started the park in 1926 as well as created it right into a prominent tourist destination. The park had a big hotel, a Swiss sky ride, glass- lower boat rides, and also a submarine cinema with mermaid entertainers. Without a doubt one of the most preferred tourist attraction was Ralph, the Swimming Pig. Ralph swam around Aquarena Springs doing techniques as well as dives till the very early 1990s when he retired.
4. The Former Town Hall as well as Fire Station: (c. 1915) One half block north of the square. Spanish Rebirth structure common of the period when fire stations shared room with various other social work. Black eye and Hallettsville have similar buildings.
5. Southwest Texas State College: Established In 1899 – opened in 1903 – as Southwest Texas Typical College. On capital North and also East of the square on the 11 acres initially deeded for it.
6. Wittliff Gallery of Southwestern & Mexican Digital Photography and also Southwestern Writers Collection – Albert B. Alkek Library, Southwest Texas State University, 512-245-2313.
7. Wonder World – Earthquake-formed cave. 512-392-3760. Admissions.